Back To School

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Real life, real students

In my clinical experiences, I had the opportunity to observe an eighth grade US history class at North Cache. I was lucky enough to be in a classroom where literacy was a very important aspect of how history was learned. Daily, these students worked on pertinent vocabulary words (not only in history but in general). They read daily, whether it be a textbook or an alternate text that the teacher has assigned. Class group readings and out loud readings take place. there are journal writings and opportunities for students to work in groups. However, the literacy focuses on mainstream, white perspectives. very little are other views and perspectives brought into the class. So while I agree with what this teacher is doing in his class, one change I would make in my own class is to make sure all perspectives are validated and that they are brought to the attention of my students. When learning about Christopher Columbus, we won't just focus on how great it was that Europeans "discovered" America, but that there were people already living here and talk about their technology and advancements. It is great to teach vocabulary, to get students reading and writing and speaking, but that is only the first step. Next we need to look deeper and to use those skills to question what is going on, why were are learning what we are, what narratives are left out, why they are left out, and what we can do to make sure they aren't left out.

2 comments:

  1. Landry, I totally agree and I like how you put your thoughts into words on this topic. I definitely prefer "contact" over "discovery" in terms of Columbus. I agree that vocabulary instruction really is only the first step in integrating literacy into our instruction and pedagogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see that you are a critical observer of your environment. This will do much for you as you work to find the teaching style and tools that work best for you. It’s nice to observe others and learn from them what we will or won’t do in our practice to create more inclusive and student friendly classrooms and I can see from this post that you will be a learner in regard to observing and critiquing your own environment and your own instruction in regard to how it fits your environment.

    ReplyDelete